Nursing home abuse is a silent and deadly epidemic that affects nearly five million elderly individuals in the United States. Sadly, this number may be only the tip of the iceberg as most cases of nursing home neglect and exploitation remain unreported. Experts estimate that for every one case of elder abuse that is uncovered, five cases continue on unrecognized.
Alarmingly, many instances of elder abuse result in fatalities as older citizens are more fragile and can be easily hurt.
Nursing home neglect and elder abuse can come in many forms, with the most common hallmarks being:
- Psychological and verbal abuse at the hands of a retirement home staff member or fellow nursing home patient
- Physical and Sexual abuse from a caregiver, family member or resident
- Food and water deprivation resulting in malnutrition and dehydration
- Financial exploitation and manipulation of senior accounts and funds
- And the list goes on and on.
We believe that nursing home neglect and elder abuse is a serious concern that needs to be addressed when it is discovered.
There are numerous signs of nursing home and elder neglect outside of the obvious physical ones like breaks and sprains. One of the biggest is emotional and behavioral changes. This type of sign can be especially significant when the senior citizen is suffering from mental ailments and cannot verbalize the kind of treatment they are receiving.
Contact us today at 1-855-54INJURY and learn more about your rights. We can help evaluate your case for free and aid you in pursuing nursing home neglect litigation against the guilty party.
If you or a loved one has been:
- Financially, sexually or physically exploited by a nursing home worker or resident
- Been denied needful medication or needlessly restrained
- Were force fed medicine in an effort to keep you under “control”
- Developed pressure ulcers or medical problems due to gross inattentiveness and neglect
Don't despair — there is help.
Call us today at 1-855-54INJURY for your free consultation and get the justice you and your loved ones deserve.